Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Public Speaking

   Today I went in the freezing winter chill to speak to a group of strangers mingled with friends and others that share community with me. We are all united in being part of the lawmaking process concerning the plant Cannabis.
    Today I spoke to members of the Senate regarding the crafting of laws concerning the medicine I use to heal and maintain my quality of life. I was not at all comfortable with the idea of being so vulnerable, but it was a choice I felt I had to make. I need them to understand my needs as a patient. I did not feel anyone else could effectively be that voice, so I had to summon the courage to do it.
   We filed into the room and listened to many things before the bills concerning us were heard. Our bills were pushed to the end, and so our speaking time was very limited. I was not sure I could get through all of my notes.
   My name was called and I went to the table, I was relieved to see my friend Shawn sitting next to me and immediately felt a little empowered by her testimony and energy. I looked around and was then joined by my friend and fellow cancer patient Debbie and another patient Tammy. I felt courage and pride being surrounded by my peers.
   I began my testimony by telling them my illnesses and then quoting the cures as adopted by the NCIB. I told them I need access to pesticide free organic cannabis and quality concentrate tailored to my illness. I told them the financial hardship repeated authorizations when I have a terminal illness and debilitating spine injury is unjust. I told them having me buy my medicine in a retail store where others with the flu frequent puts my life at risk. I told them medibles with refined sugar and salt are toxic to cancer patients, we need access to safe quality medicine that is labeled. I welcome some regulation. I did not have time to talk about the rest of my points, but I left them there for them to read. I want to write them a letter now. I want to ask if I can be a bigger part of the process.
What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All great points, and it is my fervent wish that they read the rest of your notes. -Dave

    ReplyDelete